Chelten Hills Drive
Elkins Park, PA 19027
Riparian Buffer Planting
The Edward Hicks Parry Bird Sanctuary encompasses 12.82 acres on Chelten Hills Drive in Elkins Park. Acquired in parcels by the Township from 1928 through 1944 for the purpose of providing open space. Once called “Chelten Hills Drive Bird Sanctuary,” it was renamed in 1988 in tribute to a life-long Cheltenham resident and long time president of the Wyncote Bird Club. Mr. Parry was also a leader in environmental and conservation issues.
The riparian buffer in this park was increased by 20 feet. Over 700 native trees, shrub, & plugs were planted by 53 volunteers in this park.