Trees bring benefits to the community including shade, increased property values and peace of mind. The area covered by their long leafy branches can protect our watershed and its inhabitants by cleaning the air and water, reducing flooding and energy usage, and moderating temperatures.
Photograph by Lindsay Deal
Top 10 Reasons to Plant:
- Trees reduce the amount of water-borne pollutants that reach streams and rivers.
- Trees reduce the amount of pollutants in sewer systems, saving communities millions of dollars in water treatment costs.
- Trees provide habitat for birds and other wildlife, maintaining a balance with nature even in urban areas.
- Trees help purify the air we breathe by absorbing pollutants.
- Trees increase property values and improve the tax base in communities.
- Trees improve neighborhood appeal, attracting businesses, shoppers, and homeowners.
- Trees cool our cities and towns by reducing heat generated by buildings and paved surfaces.
- Tree shade, properly placed, can save an average household up to $250 annually in energy costs.
- Trees soften harsh building lines and large expanses of pavement, making urban environments much more pleasant.
- Trees reduce levels of domestic violence and foster safer, more sociable neighborhood environments.
Check out our additional tree planting resources!