We are excited to announce that we are currently accepting applications for a new position at TTF. Through the VISTA program, we will be hiring a Model Neighborhood Liaison for the Germantown/East Mt.Airy section of the watershed. Read on for more information.
Job Title: Model Neighborhood Liaison
Seeking a full-time AmeriCorpsVISTA* for the Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed Partnership, Inc. (TTF), a non-profit connecting residents, businesses and government as neighbors and stewards of this impaired, but critically important watershed in the Philadelphia metro region.
Goals & Responsibilities:
The goal of the Model Neighborhood Project is to promote watershed awareness and appreciation, to beautify the Germantown/East Mt. Airy neighborhood and to help build community pride. The Model Neighborhood Liaison will coordinate neighborhood meetings, collect residents’ ideas about neighborhood improvement and combine those ideas with stormwater management and watershed improvement projects including volunteer activities, community events and educational programs. Activities include:
- Receive training in stormwater management, watershed education, neighborhood issues, etc. Assist TTF staff and partners with community activities (e.g. clean ups, school presentations, plantings, tours, events).
- Form new relationships with at least five community groups in the model neighborhood.
- Provide update presentations to all existing model neighborhood partner organizations.
- Draft and implement an event/activity plan for the model neighborhood. Work with TTF staff to create a six-month plan based on community feedback for at least six model neighborhood events/projects (e.g. neighborhood clean-ups, educational tours, workshops, installations).
- Participate in additional events and activities in other areas of the watershed (as training for, or expansion of, model neighborhood activities).
Job Salary: VISTA Living Allowance
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree or substantial related experience
Language Requirements: English
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must enjoy the outdoors and meeting new people
- Must have access to a car and valid driver’s license (transportation expenses will be reimbursed)
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Must have basic word processing and data entry skills
- Must be available to attend VISTA training August 11- 14, 2009
- Must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States.
Application Deadline: July 17, 2009
Thirty-seven million Americans live in poverty. Through VISTA, you can make a tangible difference. Find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.
VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 40 years.
VISTA members commit to serve full-time for one year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency. VISTA efforts are focused on building the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of organizations that fight illiteracy, improve health services, strengthen community groups, foster economic development, and otherwise assist low-income communities. With passion, commitment, and hard work, you’ll create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
By serving through VISTA, you’ll gain new skills, friends, and experiences—plus you’ll get the satisfaction that comes from helping others. During your service, you’ll also receive a modest living allowance, health care, childcare assistance, a relocation allowance if eligible, and student loan forbearance or deferment for qualified loans. Upon completing your service, you can choose to receive either an education award worth $4,725 to pay for college or $1,200 cash stipend, as well as one year of noncompetitive status for federal government jobs.